What is Brainwave Optimization?
Brainwave Optimization is the use of cutting-edge technology and neuro-biofeedback – your brain waves as measured by EEGs to show your brain the best possible levels of functioning and to assist your brain in achieving the healthiest possible balance.
It reflects a holistic approach to wellness – one that encompasses the mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual dynamics of the individual.
Brainwave Optimization and brain balancing are Not a magic pill. Depending upon the personal issues that brought you to Brain Training Centers, you may receive recommendations and referrals to a variety of other healing modalities that can be discussed during your initial consultation.
- How may I get started?
- How long do sessions last?
- How quickly will I experience results?
- What kind of results may I expect?
- How many sessions are required?
- Will this enhance performance in sports and academics?
- Are there age limits for brain training?
- Does brain training interfere with medications?
- Is brain training covered by insurance?
- Do I need to do anything during brain training?
- Any special Do’s or Dont's I should keep in mind?
- Are there any medical issues I should consider?
How may I get started?
When you are ready to make significant changes in your life, you will be given the earliest possible appointment for a 90 minute personal assessment. The assessment will include EEG readings from at least twenty areas of your brain. These will serve as the bases for your personalized Brain Training protocols.
How long do sessions last?
Your brain balancing session will last approximately 90 minutes. Each training session will contain six or seven distinct protocols and may address up to 14 distinct sections of the brain; the left and right sides of the brain will frequently be trained simultaneously. For example, training may focus on the left and right temporal lobes or the left and right parietal lobes at the same time. In other protocols, the focus may be along the mid line of the brain.
How quickly will I experience results?
Brains are as unique as fingerprints or DNA. Many clients experience changes with their first session, most within three or four sessions. However, outcomes will vary from person to person.
What kind of results may I expect?
Results can vary and may depend on your purpose and goals in seeking brain balance. Clients with problems of addiction or anger frequently experience almost immediate results and their families and friends quickly notice changes. Other clients may experience more subtle changes – a sense of calmness, relaxation, reduced stress and anxiety, better sleep – that first become obvious to family, friends, and those with whom they work.
How many sessions are required?
To gain the initial maximum benefit from brain balancing, it is recommended that clients participate in eleven sessions – an assessment and ten brain training sessions. Because new neuro pathways (balanced thinking and emotions) dominate for 24-48 hours after they have been established, it is recommended that the first five or six brain training sessions be completed within three days. If too much time passes before new neuro pathways have been firmly established, the old pathways will begin to dominate again. We recommend that after completing ten training sessions clients take time to reflect upon the changes they have experienced and decide whether or not to return for additional brain training at some time in the future.
The initial benefits of Brain Training are usually recognized in the first few sessions and, depending on the issues a client elects to address, five to 30 sessions may be required to create lasting and permanent results.
Will this enhance performance in sports and academics?
Yes. Ninety-five percent of the clients of Brain State Technologies TM experience significant changes in their lives. For many the changes are hard to quantify. They may simply feel “happier” or more relaxed. Nearly all of the families of clients enthusiastically report the changes they see. To appreciate some of these changes, please review some of the testimonials – here – to the effectiveness of Brain Training. In late 2007, The Nevada Department of Corrections authorized the publication of a brief study of six inmates who received Brain Training. The summary report is available here.
Are there age limits for brain training?
With parental approval, children as young as 12 can be candidates for brain balancing. Adults of all ages who wish to achieve optimal personal functioning can benefit from brain balancing.
Is this process safe? Is electricity processed into the brain or body?
Brain training is safe and completely non-invasive. It is a form of bio-feedback that balances and harmonizes the brain and enhances the brain’s performance. No drugs are involved. Absolutely NO electricity enters the brain or body. The EEG measures the electrical activity inside your brain and our Brain State Technologies TM computers will generate sound-waves delivered through earphones that will allow your brain to form new, balanced neuro pathways.
Does brain training interfere with medications?
No! Brain training will not interfere with your medications.
However, brain balancing will not be done if clients are receiving any type of beta-blockers – medications usually prescribed for heart conditions. If you are receiving beta-blockers, please check with you physicians.
Is brain training covered by insurance?
The Brain Training Centers of Florida will work with you and your insurance company to determine whether or not your brain training will be covered by your carrier.
Do I need to do anything during brain training?
All you have to do is relax. You will be asked to sit comfortably in a reclining chair. Occasionally, you may be asked to keep your eyes opened for a few minutes; more frequently, you’ll be asked sit quietly with your eyes closed and simply focus on your breathing or visualize an image suggested by your Brain Training Center technician. Many clients frequently fall asleep during their 70-90 minute training sessions. That’s okay.
Any special Do’s or Dont's I should keep in mind?
Clients are encouraged to:
- Arrive at least five minutes early for appointments. If a client is more than 10 minutes late, it may be necessary to cut.
- Refrain from/avoid alcohol and other mood altering drugs for at least 48 hours after a training session.
- Dress comfortably. You’ll be in an air-conditioned office for almost two hours.
- Turn off all pagers and cell phones before your assessment or brain training sessions.
- Bring your contact lenses or glasses, if you need them.
- Style your hair loosely. During training, electrodes will be placed in approximately 20 places on your skull. The electrodes must be in contact with your scalp. Therefore, freshly washed hair, free of sprays, gels or other products, makes electrode placement easier and better.
- Drink plenty of water and consume plenty of protein during the days of your brain training.
- Do not wear earrings to your training sessions. During specific protocols, electrodes will be placed on your ears and earrings
Are there any medical issues I should consider?
If you are taking any type of beta blocker medication, please be advised that by definition, beta blockers slow beta wave processing. Accordingly, by definition, beta blockers will inhibit or slow the Brainwave Optimization process. Our anecdotal evidence is that many people who have utilized Brainwave Optimization while taking beta blockers have had terrific experiences. If you choose to have an assessment or brain training despite this information, please know that the efficacy may be greatly reduced and inform your trainer about the medications you are using.
Hearing aids or hearing problems may interfere with your training. If you have a hearing impairment, please inform you trainer so that he or she can work with you during the training process.
If you have had Lasik Surgery, please inform your trainer.
Women in the active phase of their menstrual cycle should inform their trainers, so that protocols can be adjusted to their particular needs.
We recommend that you:
- Avoid wearing perfume, cologne or strong lotions while receiving brain training.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for at least 48 hours following a training session.
- Avoid the “recreational” use of all drugs, especially marijuana and other mood altering substances, during and for at least three weeks after your Brain State Conditioning treatments. cranial sacral therapy, and “energy work” during
- Avoid all chiropractic treatments, cranial sacral therapy and “energy work” during Brain State Conditioning and for three weeks after completing your BSC. Experience has shown that these forms of treatment frequently interfere with or reverse the effects of Brain State Conditioning.